While technically considered to be personally identifiable information, it’s surprising how easily individuals or businesses can acquire your phone number and call you anytime. They may even intentionally hide their caller ID or change their area code to lure you into picking up. It can be a bit challenging to trace the real number or find out who the owner is. This is why most phone users tend to block restricted calls.
To further protect yourself and your loved ones though, it’s best to not only learn how to block restricted calls on Android and iPhone but also to fully understand what a restricted number is and how it works. If you often ask yourself “why do restricted numbers keep calling me?”, then continue reading as we’ll be discussing such further and how to stop restricted calls.
What Is A Restricted Call?
Are you one of the many users wondering “what is a restricted phone number call?” In a nutshell, restricted calls are unknown calls that show no identifiers when received. Neither a phone number nor a caller ID will be displayed; it will only show Unknown Call or Restricted Call on the cell phone of the recipient.
An unexpected call from a restricted number could be rather sketchy. The mere fact that there’s no available information on your caller makes you think twice about picking up. Even in some cases where an incoming call is from an unregistered or cell phone restricted number, most people are hesitant to answer.
Not every call from a restricted number, however, is a bad thing. Yes, there are malicious users that take advantage of restricted calls to mask their identities. But this is not always the case.
- Privacy and Safety
Some users are extra careful when disclosing their personal information, including their phone numbers,to keep their privacy and ensure their safety. After all, the virtual world is so massive that you wouldn’t know who has your personal data.
- Unwanted Call Backs
There are situations where callers intentionally hide their data because they don’t want to receive any callbacks. This is typically the case in well-established businesses, government organizations, or collection agencies.
- Unintentional Activation
This may sound crazy but there are also instances where the caller has unintentionally hidden their information before starting a call. They might’ve mistakenly activated a built-in phone setting or initiated a request to their network carriers.
- Privacy and Safety
Before we share some tips on how to block restricted calls, let’s learn how these calls are started in the first place.
- Special Code – Probably the quickest and easiest way to perform a restricted call is through the utilization of a special code. Simply type *67 before the number you wish to call. However, this is a temporary solution as you’d need to do this on a per-call basis.
- Built-In Settings – Most Android and iOS phones have built-in settings that enable users to hide their caller identity. Until this is deactivated or turned off, this feature offers a permanent solution for initiating a restricted call. To enable, simply navigate to the Call Settings page then toggle off the Show My Caller ID (on iPhone) or choose Hide Number (on Android).
- Phone Carrier – Reach out to your phone/network carrier should you wish to hide your caller ID or block/filter outgoing calls. This is also a hassle-free solution as you only need to contact them once, then they’ll do the rest of the required steps.
- Burner App – If you’re seeking a quick, convenient, and permanent solution, then a burner app may be your best bet. These mobile applications are designed to hide/mask your information when calling someone by routing the call through the internet.
How To Block A Restricted Number On iPhone
Restricted calls on cell phones can be scary if it’s out-of-the-blue or can be annoying if you receive them too often. These are the main reasons why many users are seeking efficient and effective ways on how to block a restricted call. While there are possible ways to reveal the identities of restricted callers, most recipients choose to simply block the restricted number instead. After all, knowing the real owner may not accomplish much, unless you report and block them.
iOS devices are favored by most due to Apple’s strict and strong security features. However, no matter how strong their built-in filters may be, iPhones are still susceptible to online dangers. Even Apple phone users can fall victim to call spoofing, prank calls, restricted calls, call phishing, and more.
Now that you have a better idea of what a restricted phone number is, let’s dive deeper into how to block restricting calls or numbers. For iPhones, here are two reliable options for blocking restricted numbers/calls.
Option 1: Restricted Call Blocking Via Your Phone Call History
- Step 1: Launch your Phone Settings page by tapping on the Telephone Handle icon/app.
- Step 2: Look for the restricted call from your phone call logs, then click on the blue information mark (i) next to it.
- Step 3: Simply select the Block this caller option to block the specific restricted call.
Option 2: Silence Unknown Callers
- Step 1: Go to your iPhone Settings and select Phone.
- Step 2: Toggle the button next to Silence Unknown Callers. Doing this will prevent numbers you’ve never been in contact with or people not on your contacts list from calling you.
Option 3: Restricted Call Blocking Via Your iPhone’s Do Not Disturb Feature
- Step 1: Launch your iPhone General Settings page by tapping on the Gear icon/app.
- Step 2: Select Focus (Or Do Not Disturb is using iOS 14 or earlier)
- Step 2: Find and click on Allow Call From.
- Step 3: From this section, you select who you want to accept calls from like your Favorites or All Contacts.
- Step 4: While on the Do Not Disturb page, we advise you to also ensure other settings and features are set exactly the way you want them.
- Step 5: You can then turn on or toggle on the Do Not Disturb button which is located at the top of the page to block any incoming calls.
How To Block A Restricted Number On Android
If you’re an Android phone user and wondering if blocking restricted calls is possible, yes it is. Android’s block restricted calls feature is as easy and as effective as Apple’s iPhone – it only takes a few taps.
Since Android is an open operating system (OS) it’s somewhat riskier. Users are more likely to be exposed to cyber threats. Just like iOS devices, many dangers are triggered by mere phone calls, including phishing, social engineering, and hacking.
This is why most phone users know better than to just mindlessly answer unknown or restricted calls. It would be better to block restricted numbers on Android or at least take precautionary measures first. Such as performing a reverse phone number lookup or contacting your phone or network carrier.
The processes may slightly vary depending on the phone model or the Android version. In most cases, however, here’s how to block restricted calls, unknown numbers, or calls in general on Android. These steps were completed on a Samsung Galaxy S21+ running on Android 11.
Option #1: Blocking Specific Phone Numbers
- Step 1: Tap on the Phone app/icon from your home screen.
- Step 2: Browse through your phone call logs to locate the specific call you wish to block.
- Step 3: Tap the number you wish to block and click on the grey information icon (i) that appears.
- Step 4: If they are a number that called you, press the Block icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Step 5: If the person is in your contact, select the icon labeled More. Then select Block Contact.
Option #2: Block Unknown/Private Numbers
- Step 1: Open the Phone app/icon on your cell phone.
- Step 2: Click on the three vertical dots in the upper right corner and press Settings.
- Step 3: Tap on Block numbers.
- Step 4: Make sure the toggle button next to Block unknown/private numbers is green.
Call Blocking Apps You Can Use
It can get frustrating and annoying if you keep getting calls from restricted numbers. Some users may even end up changing phone numbers to prevent themselves from receiving these calls.
Aside from the aforementioned ways to block restricted calls on Android and iPhone, there are also third-party mobile applications you can rely on. This software can be a reliable and efficient way on how to block a restricted call, regardless of the phone brand or OS version.
The good thing about these third-party apps is that they utilize algorithms and coding specifically programmed for phone calls. Aside from permanently blocking the numbers, you’ve added to be blocked, premium apps also have their own lists of malicious and suspicious phone numbers. They contain databases that automatically cross-reference phone calls to proactively filter out the bad ones.
We’ve searched the market to identify the most promising call-blocking apps. Taking into consideration various factors, we’ve personally tested the leading applications based on market ratings. After a series of lengthy tests, here are three of the best third-party call blocking mobile applications you can trust and rely on.
Hiya Caller ID and Block – Overall, this popular mobile application is one of the most efficient ones we’ve encountered. It offers advanced features and ease-of-access at the same time which is why it’s trusted by over 10 million users. It’s even trusted by well-known phone providers, huge network carriers, and well-established businesses. Including Samsung, AT&T, Telenor, Safelite, Assurance, Penske, AA, and Just Eat.This voice performance platform is designed to automatically and efficiently stop spam calls and block fraudsters. Making it an ideal app for business owners and homeowners alike.
Calls Blacklist – Call Blocker – This third-party app makes call and SMS blocking quick and easy. It can protect you from unwanted, anonymous, or unknown calls. Aside from spam blocking, the app also has a fully functional built-in SMS messenger to send/receive private messages and enjoy safe conversations. There’s also an option to customize your settings and manage your file of blacklisted numbers. You could retrieve the restricted call(s) from your call log anytime.Though Calls Blacklist is only available on Android, to date, there are over 10 million installations from Google Play. It offers a one-month free trial where you get full access to its advanced features.
Call Blocker – Call Blocker works similarly to Calls Blacklist, offering many of the same features. It’s also compatible with Android devices only.This freeware has an easy-to-use interface packed with various features. It’s also trusted by over 10 million users as this mobile application enables them to:
- Add numbers they wish to block on the app’s blacklist.
- Add numbers they wish to unblock on the app’s whitelist.
- Record all call logs of rejected or restricted numbers.
- Block calls from numbers not in the whitelist.
- Block calls from numbers not saved in contacts.
- Block all calls.
There you have it, the most efficient and reliable ways on how to block a restricted call. To further protect yourselves and your loved ones and achieve the peace of mind you well-deserved, you could also try a reverse phone number lookup on the restricted phone calls you receive.